Ivano-Frankivsk National Medical University
Ivano-Frankivsk National Medical University is a higher educational institution located in Ivano-Frankivsk, Ukraine. It was established in 1945 and granted the National status in 2009 according to the Decree of President of Ukraine.
Today IFNMU is an autonomous fully accredited institution providing higher medical education for Ukrainian and international learners.
The vision of Ivano-Frankivsk National Medical University is to develop an integral system of training and professional development of medical and teaching staff on the modern scientific and educational base, creating the infrastructure and conditions for personal improvement, mobility of teachers and graduates.
The mission of IFNMU is to ensure highly effective activities in the national and international educational and scientific space in order to train highly qualified medical professionals with moral and spiritual values competitive in domestic and international labor markets, the development and implementation of the new technologies to improve the health care.
Around 4000 Ukrainian students are currently attending Ivano-Frankivsk National Medical University. Over 1600 international students from 35 countries are obtaining higher medical education in IFNMU. More than 600 students study at the IFNMU Medical College. The University also provides postgraduate education at the Postgraduate Institute for the Ukrainian and international doctors.
More than 6000 students in total are educated by 114 Doctors of Science, 101 Professors, 490 Candidates of Science and 347 Associate Professors. More than 1100 persons are the support staff of the University.
IFNMU includes 55 departments located on clinical bases of 31 medical institutions. The University collaborates with 6 primary health care units, which are training facilities for undergraduate and postgraduate education.
There are 2 on-line learning platforms in the University. "Virtual patient" is on the basis of OpenLabirynth system. It is specified for problem oriented learning and teach students to make the right decisions in different clinical situations. OpenEDX system is on the basis of edx.org service. It is a complete educational process management system that allows to create learning material and conduct on-line training, on-line exams and is protected from third-party influence.
The activity of Ivano-Frankivsk National Medical University is focused on:
- providing highly qualified medical education, which ensures the candidates to obtain the appropriate degree in the chosen specialty;
- carrying out scientific activity by conducting scientific research and using the obtained results in the educational process;
- forming the personality through patriotic, legal, and ecological education, affirmation of moral values, social activity, civic position and responsibility, healthy lifestyle, ability to think freely and self-organize in modern conditions;
- creating necessary conditions to realize the abilities and talents of the medical specialists;
- establishing international relations and conducting international activities in the fields of education, science, sport, art and culture;
- studying the demand for certain specialties in the labor market and promoting the employment of the graduates;
- carrying out highly specialized diagnostic, therapeutic and advisory assistance to the population with the help of new scientific developments.
Ivano-Frankivsk National Medical University is endeavoring to collaborate with new partners from all around the world and participate in common international projects. IFNMU aims at:
- broadening international contacts and concluding cooperation agreements;
- establishing mutual cooperation with foreign higher educational institutions, international organizations, and foundations in accordance with current legislation;
- participating in the programs of bilateral and multilateral interstate and interuniversity exchange of students, graduates, doctors, academic, scientific and administrative staff (Erasmus+ and others);
- conducting joint researches;
- organizing common international conferences, symposia, congresses and other events;
- participating in international educational and scientific programs;
- carrying out joint publishing activity;
- creating joint educational and scientific programs with foreign universities, scientific institutions, and other organizations;
- involving academic, scientific and administrative staff of foreign institutions to carry out academic and scientific activity at IFNMU;
- supporting foreign scientists, doctors, volunteers who intend to receive honorary award of IFNMU.
The University actively participates in international educational projects such as Tempus MEMEENA, "Youth and Fit Synergy", Erasmus +.
From 2011 to 2014, IFNMU participated actively in the Tempus MUMEENA project. The overall goal of the project was to facilitate the improvement of undergraduate medical education in partner countries in order to ensure its compliance with the principles and objectives of the Bologna Process and international standards in order to integrate Ukrainian medical education into the Single European Educational Space.
Among the main achievements of the IFNMU within the project:
Development of integrated curriculum:
- "Fundamentals of Gerontology and Geriatrics" program was developed (2 credits);
- "Palliative Surgery" program was implemented (4,5 credits);
- A new cross-cutting typical program in palliative and hospice care was developed at IFNMU and further implemented (6 credits).
The courses "Evidence-based Medicine" (1.5 credits) and "Theory of Cognition and Medicine" (2 credits) were introduced and CBCR classes were conducted at the departments of surgery and internal medicine.
Development of student research skills:
The university has fully equipped training centers for undergraduate training. Two new classes of interactive learning were created. The Telemedicine project has been implemented ever since.
International Relations Department of IFNMU carried out a comprehensive coordination of the project "YOUTH AND FIT SYNERGY", organized by the public organization "HOPP" (Poland). Students participated in this international project, which took place in the Polish city of Opole within the framework of the Erasmus+ program. During the project a fair of higher education institutions was held, which presupposed cultural exchange of the participants.
From 2016 up to present, IFNMU is an active participant of the ERASMUS+ project for academic mobility of students and staff. Students and teachers of our university studied and trained in the following directions:
- Erasmus+ Student Mobility for Studies (SMS). 2 students studied for 5 months at the University of Debrecen (Hungary) in 2017, 2 students studied for 5 months at Opole Medical School (Poland) in 2017-2018;
- Erasmus+ KA107: Mobility for Staff. 2 Professors and 1 administrative worker participated in the experience exchange with university staff members from all around the world at the University of Valladolid (Spain);
- Within the framework of the "Polish Erasmus+ for Medical Ukraine" program, students and professors attended medical universities in various cities of Poland for the purpose of passing internships.
International Relations Department
Contact person: Vitalii Osadets
Position: Head of International Relations Department
Tel.: +38 (0342) 595 191
Address: Ivano-Frankivsk National Medical University
76018, Ivano-Frankivsk, Halytska Str. 2