Kharkiv National University of Internal Affair
Kharkiv National University of Internal Affairs (KhNUIA) was established in 1992. KhNUIA is a state higher education institution under the patronage of the Ministry of Internal Affairs of Ukraine. KhNUIA is a leading Law Enforcement Agency of Higher Police Education in Eastern Ukraine, located in cross-border region and has border with armed conflict zone. In order to develop scientific, technical and innovative activity, the Kharkiv National University of Internal Affairs created the Science Park "Science and Security". The Science Park as a separate legal entity brings together contributions of the business, researchers and public partners with the aim to monitor design and implement innovation projects. The priorities of the research activity will be introducing new forms and methods of public security control; solving cybersecurity problems; development of information and communication technologies; environmental monitoring and safety; innovative methods of urban infrastructure management; combating crime; innovative methodologies of the education process. Key scientific areas of intervention include cybersecurity software; technologies of organization of distance learning and management of education orders; air support for public safety and environmental security; security and public safety in law enforcement; sociological monitoring of a criminal situation in the region. Main functions of the Science Park are Design of innovation products in the sphere of public security; Information, legal support and consulting; Development and support to SME and innovation entrepreneurship; Education, professional training and LLL; Development of international cooperation in the spheres of scientific, technic and innovation activities; KhNUIA slogan is Knowledge, Law and Honor! KhNUIA has a comprehensive structure including 6 faculties and 3 research laboratories, 32 Departments, 5 Specialized Scientific Councils, Center of Ukrainian–Poland Development, the Scientific Park «Science and Security», Situation Center "Safe Slobozhanshchyna". The quality of the educational process is presented almost by 108 Doctors of Sciences, Professors, 357 Candidates of Sciences and 178 Associate Professors. KhNUIA has 7000 students with about 800 foreign students from different countries are studying in KhNUIA in different forms of education in 36 Specialties. Over the past 20 years, the University has trained over 50,000 professionals. The university trains students (bachelor, Master, PhD, Doctor of Science) in full-time, part-time and distance form of study in the fields of law, civil security, management and administration, social and behavioral sciences and information technologies. Education courses are taught in Ukrainian, Russian, and English languages.
KhNUIA has an excellent infrastructure (5 education buildings, 4 dormitories, 1 scientific park, 2 science library), also there are educational training grounds such as Forensic and Police Department, Tactical town, Center for fighting cybercrime and monitoring of cyberspace, 100-meter rifle complex, Rubin-U laser multimedia shooting gallery with physical activity (a shooting gallery equipped with a simulator "racetrack"), Centers for correctional and psychodiagnostic activity, gender education, Cabinet of pedagogical skills for young teachers, Cabinet for teaching cadets of driver skills and unique Training rooms: Courtroom and "Green room".
Priority is given to research in the field of public order and safety, protection of the rights and legitimate interests of a person and a citizen by the agencies of the National Police of Ukraine. Special attention is paid to the experience of law enforcement agencies of foreign countries in this area. KhNUIA actively develops the international cooperation process of the University with foreign and international partners. International cooperation with foreign educational institutions is one of the foreground directions of the activities of Kharkiv National University of Internal Affairs. Achievement of higher standards for the training of skilled employees is closely associated with sharing best practices, new progress and joint activities (conferences, seminars, internships, projects and programs). International cooperation process of the University with Academic Institutions and foreign Higher Education Institutions is achieved via bilateral memorandums of understanding, bilateral agreements and treaties.
KhNUIA took part in CEPOL Exchange program 2018 and 2019 with Lithuanian Police School and Police School in Katowice. The University actively cooperates with the police institutions of Sweden, the Czech Republic, Norway, the USA, Turkey, Poland, Moldova and others.
1. Law enforcement activity
2. Police activity (community policing, issues in the sphere of guaranteeing public safety, investigation of crimes, crime prevention issues, detection of domestic violence, combating drug trafficking, activity of criminal police dealing with minors, combating cybercrimes and human trafficking)
3. Training of police officers (methodology) and education of law enforcement specialists
Erasmus+ Key Actions in higher education:
1. Learning Mobility – CREDIT MOBILITY / DEGREE MOBILITY
2. Cooperation Projects – CAPACITY BUILDING (ex-Tempus) / STRATEGIC PARTNERSHIP / KNOWLEDGE ALIANCES
1. Improvement of training specialists combating cybercrimes.
2. Promoting democracy and rule of law principle.
3. Combating drug trafficking transferred through Ukraine.
4. Prevention of juvenile crime through interactive technologies.
International cooperation is an integral part of the University's activity and aimed at integrating the University in general European and global space.
The main objective of international cooperation is establishment and development of international and inter-university relationships with universities, government and non-government organizations of Ukraine and abroad, improving the image of law enforcement officers in the national and international arena, as well as adaptation to European and international standards while maintaining the best achievements of national education.
Kharkiv National University of Internal Affairs has started its active international activity 1998 by realizing the first international project aimed at detecting the reasons, sociological factors and mechanisms of drug spread among youth. This project has been realized during 3 years together with German and Spanish colleagues.
Other examples of realized projects:
- 3-year project "Introduction of the police activity model in Ukraine based on the public support". This project received approval and support of the British government within the boundaries of the ASSIST program. From Ukrainian side it was supported by the Ministry of Internal Affairs of Ukraine;
- 3-year project "Lawyering and Forensic Skills Development Partnership" which was realized in partnership with Chicago-Kent College of Law, Illinois Institute of Technology with following duration in partnership;
- "Using Education to Combat White Collar Crime: A Curriculum and Skills Development Partnership" (together with Chicago-Kent College of Law, Illinois Institute of Technology. Duration of the project: October, 2003 – October, 2006;
- "Counteracting Tortures and Violent Behavior in Police" (the project is being conducted in partnership with European Commission on Human Rights Protection). Duration of the project: 2003-2005.
- "Human rights and policing", sponsored by the Swedish Institute. This project was realized together with the Umea University, Sweden and lasted 4 years (September, 2008 – June, 2011);
- "Building Respect to the Law and the Police through the interactive web site" was sponsored by US government in the frames of "Allumni" Program and realized May, 2009 – May 2010. The result of the project was creation of Web site – www.babybezbeka.org.ua;
- "Adversarial proceedings" was realized through 2010-2013 by the USAID Program, sponsored by the US Government and financial assistance of the National Endowment for Democracy and on the initiative of the Leavitt Institute for International Development.
Advisor to the Rector of KhNUIA,
Director for International Cooperation & Development
at the Science Park "Science and Security"
PhD in Law